Friday, April 6, 2012

Upcycle Monthly: Featuring Courtney from Tizzy Dee

Welcome Courtney of Tizzy Dee on Etsy.  She is also a fellow Etsykids Team member.  Courtney is the first crafter to be featured in this Upcycle Monthly series.  I will be featuring a new upcycling crafter the first Saturday of every month.  Take a moment to get  to know Courtney and learn a little more about the wonderful upcycling process of bringing new life to old items!  Don't forget to check out Courtney's etsy shop and facebook page listed at the close of this feature.
 
Tell us a bit about yourself:
I'm a stay-at-home-mom to a beautiful 5-year-old girl and awaiting the arrival of our second daughter sometime this summer. Our 5-year-old joined us from Ethiopia in 2008 and we will be meeting daughter #2 for the first time (also in Ethiopia) in just a couple weeks!
I started crocheting in 2009 after my sister bought me a "teach yourself to crochet" set. I've been hooked (pun intended) ever since. I also really enjoy experimenting with different crafts and love upcycling/recycling/re-purposing.

What was your inspiration for using upcycled materials for your craft or art?
I love the idea of taking something from around the house and making it into something new. I started with a bunch of my daughter's clothes that she had outgrown and that were stained beyond repair. I cut them up and made my first rag rug. Once spring hits, I love moving away from yarn and into fabrics that I've found at thrift stores and rummage sales.


What is your favorite upcycled medium or material?
T-shirts and pillow cases. I can always seem to find the most interesting pillow cases.
I also re-purpose plastic bags, though they are not super easy to work with.

What is your current favorite upcycled item you have created?
Currently, I love my new upcycled t-shirt necklaces. So colorful, casual and fun!


What are some challenges you have encountered using upcycled materials?
I am scared of my sewing machine, so I have to find projects that don't require sewing, which can be challenging.

Any tips for those looking into the use of upcycled materials.
Look around your house first - you'd be surprised with what you can find!


Places to find and follow Courtney - Tizzy Dee


Thank you so much for reducing waste all while creating amazing one of a kind upcycled items.

No comments:

Post a Comment