Sunday, January 29, 2012

Homemade: The joys and rewards

Upon creating my very first pair of baby slippers, I quickly realized that I was hooked.  The satisfaction of making something adorable and functional was priceless.  I also could not help but smile every time I put a pair on my little ones knowing that they were wearing something one of a kind that was made with love and care.

   What I did not immediately realize was the elation I gained from creating these homemade items was shared by the receivers, no matter their age.

My happy little man.  Clearly the face of a satisfied consumer at the ripe old age of 1.  My 3 year old niece was able to more clearly articulate her joy at receiving a homemade winter hat.

 This hat remained squarely on her head for quite some time.  She proudly beamed to all that would listen , "Auntie Teen, Teen made it".  I could not think of any greater reward than this response.

The value and satisfaction of creating homemade items can often be lost in today's instant gratification society.  I feel truly blessed to have been given the opportunity to learn how to sew and create handmade items thanks to my incredibly skilled mother.  I can only hope that someday I may acquire her level of expertise.   Hopefully when that day comes I will be able to pass these fulfilling skills along to my children.
 My mini crafter in the making :)

No comments:

Post a Comment