Saturday, August 4, 2012

Upcycle Monthly: Featuring Haleigh from My Little Mookie

Let's all take a moment to welcome Haleigh from My Little Mookie on Etsy.  She is also one of the many talented crafters of the etsykids team.  Her shop features adorable, customized baby, toddler and even a few grown up items.  Stop on by her shop to take a look at all the beautiful appliqued and monogrammed items she creates after learning a little more about her here.  The links to her shop and facebook page can be found at the close of this post.

Tell us a bit about yourself.
I am a stay at home mom and wife from Plano, Texas and I am the owner of My Little Mookie, a fun and unique baby clothing and accessories company. I have an energetic 18 month old that loves to help mommy create!

What was your inspiration for using upcycled materials for your craft or art?
Here at our house we recycle everything! I had purchased some Toms that came with a cute fabric bag, I thought "How can I use this in my crafts?" It all started with a necktie applique, then a guitar, then a flower headband. I love it because you would not think this would work with babies clothes...but the bags wash beautifully and become very soft over time. I have made my son several other items not listed on Etsy and have been very pleased with them. I love taking something that someone was throwing away or my selvages and giving them a new life!

What is your favorite upcycled medium or material?
Old sweatshirts make for perfect backing to bibs and of course the fabric bags that come with a pair of Toms. Anything I can get my hands on really.

What are some challenges you have encountered using upcycled materials?
I haven't had any challenges yet, but as I expand my line of products I am sure I will run into some. One challenge that I can forsee in the future is if Toms stops giving away free bags with their shoes! I am in the process of trying to make my own onesies out of vintage t-shirts.

What is your current favorite upcycled item you have created?
I love this fabric flower headband! It was so much fun to make!

Any tips for those looking into the use of upcycled materials.
You never know if something is going to work until you try! I waste as little as possible. I have even made my own business cards out of cardboard and fabric! 
Haleigh can be found online in the following locations:


Thanks for helping reduce waste in the world all while creating beautiful one of a kind items!

No comments:

Post a Comment