Saturday, June 2, 2012

Upcycle Monthly: Featuring Andrea from Bula Jeans Boutique

Let's welcome Andrea from Bula Jeans Boutique as she shares some of her amazing upcycled items with us.  Her shop features a wide variety of items for babies, toddlers, children and a few things for mom too!  Be sure to check out the links to Andrea's etsy shop and facebook page after learning more about her.

Tell us a bit about yourself. 
My name is Andrea Boyko, I was an inner-city school teacher for 10 years and am currently a very busy work-at-home mommy.  I run Bula Jean’s Boutique – a little etsy shop dedicated to making quality baby items from a mix of repurposed, organic, and natural materials.


What was your inspiration for using upcycled materials for your craft or art?
I have always had a problem with the amount people waste.  From plastic silverware, water bottles, and even clothing – there is just too much stuff out there!  For me upcycling is not about the cost savings (which are significant), but about making do with what we already have. 


What is your favorite upcycled medium or material?
Right now my favorite thing to do is repurposing outgrown or stained onesies .  My twins outgrow onesies so quickly and since I know my husband and I will not be having more children I have no problem cutting them up and making them into new outfits.  Here is a picture of some onesies turned into t-shirts and some footie-pjs turned into comfy capris.


The upcycled material I use the most is old tweed pants that I turn into Newsboy Caps.  The lady at my local Salvation gives me the strangest looks when I come in every couple of weeks to buy a pile of old “grandpa” pants!  One of these days I will have to tell her that I don’t actually wear them.

What are some challenges you have encountered using upcycled materials?
My biggest challenge is actually on the customer’s end.  They never know exactly what color or fabric their item will be because my upcycled materials change weekly. 

What is your current favorite upcycled item you have created?
I really love my new beach bag made from plastic bags. It is sturdy, waterproof, and best of all saved about 60 plastic shopping bags from ending up in the landfills and oceans.   Since I don’t use plastic bags myself, I collected them from people who still do.  
 

Andrea can be found online at the following locations:


Thanks for helping reduce waste in the world all while creating beautiful one of a kind items!

No comments:

Post a Comment