Saturday, May 5, 2012

Upcycle Monthly: Featuring Barbara of Fresh Vintage Shop

Let's welcome Barbara from the Fresh Vintage Shop on Etsy.  She is a member of the Etsykids team.  Her shop carries one of a kind clothing items and accessories made for children using some vintage and upcycled materials as well as personalized embroidered items.  She is sharing her vintage perspective on upcycling with us today.  Don't forget to check out her etsy shop, facebook page and website linked at the bottom of this post after learning more about her.

Tell us a bit about yourself. 
My name is Barbara Eccleston I'm the owner of Fresh Vintage Shop.  I live with my husband and 3 children in Upstate New York.  I started my sewing/design business about 10 years ago when my daughter was 2.  I wanted her to have unique outfits and then started offering them to others and it grew from there.

What was your inspiration for using upcycled materials for your craft or art?
I find inspiration in all things.  My "Fresh, Vintage" style permeates through many aspects of my life.  Our home is a 1820's farm house.  I admire all things vintage, fabrics, architecture, tools, styles.  I admire my fore-mothers and how difficult life was for them and how hard they worked to make their homes comfortable and pretty.  But with that said, I LOVE that I don't have to thread the needle on my sewing machine!  I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to technology!


What is your favorite upcycled medium or material?
I love reproductions style fabrics with bright colors and bold clean design.  I also have a passion for vintage linens.


What are some challenges you have encountered using upcycled materials?
Hmmm, I would say acquiring too many!  I have a large collection of vintage chenille bedspreads that I don't think I will ever use, but love so much I don't think I can part with.  I have bins of linens, hankies and doilies that I often use in my designs that at times I'm sad to part with.

An example of a girl's hankie skirt offered on the Fresh Vintage Shop facebook page.  Made using vintage hankies.


What is your current favorite upcycled item in your shop?
I just started offering Spirit Twirl Skirts that I LOVE.  It incorporates a tee shirt from a sport/club team into a skirt.  They are so cute for little sisters or girls in clubs/sports that want something a little different than the knotted tee to show their spirit.


Any tips for those looking into the use of upcycled materials.
Have fun!  To me that is what designing is all about.

Barbara can be found online at the following locations:

Thanks for helping reduce waste in the world all while creating beautiful one of a kind items!

No comments:

Post a Comment